Thursday 23 April 2009

Burnt Umber

I started painting when I was 7, 8 years old
it takes time
it takes patience

read Francis Bacon
read the French painters
they have one answer
read the Dutch painters
they have another answer

I notice recently that my mind is retreating

Greece has a wide deep Religious Tradition
Greek Icons
being a youngster
keen to put my nose into many things
we’re talking 1928/35
Greek Christian Monk
descended from ‘Metora’
old man
living in a barn
I looking for adventure
he contacted me
“Burnt Umber, Burnt Umber.”

he showed me how to paint
an iconographer
used to sell icons to the Greek Church
painted alongside him
“Burnt Umber”
everything cut and dry
rules rules

then you come to Francis B
Graham Sutherland
they carry on those traditions
being drawn backwards
the Greek traditions

anytime I speak Greek now
they say
“You are a foreigner
with a damn good Greek accent!”


being a painter
a tough job

I met Lowry in the street
had a chat
said I wanted to buy a painting
‘anytime’
I never did


Mr Constantine Steriopulos
8th Dec 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment