Thursday 16 March 2017

I have looked down the saddest city lane

Detail of the book The Darkness Comes


Had no sleep last night or
Today.
Blows your head up
Memory lose, confused.

The drink and drugs they kill you
On the street, but
What keeps you alive?
Drink and the drugs.

On the street I can't 
Sleep in a doorway.
So
MacDonalds 6.30 am:

I snooze with the early
boozers, they're not bothered.
I'm clear-eyed, but alcohol and drugs
Are spending all my money.

My circumstances
Shoplifting.
It's a full time job in
Itself.

Sniff coke, Im a good bloke
Smoke crack, Im scum.
Depression, sore back
Tube rammed up me nose.

To be well? Happiness
My girl, a moment of fun.
What would make me better is
A house.



Peter, Brian, Tom, Anonymous
9 June 2015


Poem from The Homeless Library, the first history of British homelessness. Told through poems, interviews, artworks and handmade books. 


A documentary film about the project can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment