Friday 24 November 2017

Comes to them in darker times

Comes to them in darker times

Bright sharp shining, forcefully cold
Makes me the hero strong and bold
Fields of crimson and green
Battlefields full of the dead and dying
Wives and lovers left bereft and crying.

A sword, my weapon and my friend
A piece of sharpened metal for me to defend
Cold hard steel in my command
Makes me powerful and grand
Becomes my lover in my hand.


Ian Dawes


Armour project embroidery inspired by gambersons. 


Armour is a project that uses words and stitches to explore the ways we protect ourselves. It is a collaboration with veterans of armed conflict and with people who have lived experience of homelessness. We asked people to describe their personal "armour", physical and mental. Artworks inspired by gambesons, the quilted jackets worn under suits of armour, were made out of rust dyed fabric and embroidered with poems, and other writings. https://arthur-martha.com/portfolio/armour/

No comments:

Post a Comment