Wednesday 15 March 2017

Bradwell

Bradwell my family name and I come from
Bradwell village, from my mothers womb, 1923
I'm a bit ancient
It's my home, my doorstep free

Dad had the butchers and grocers shop
Remember him taking food surreptitiously
To people who couldn't afford
They'd tell me secretly

Strong opinions in the village: chapel or church?
He'd say I'm going to chapel this week,
And church the next, had his own views
Constricted he'd never be.

He never lifted a hand to us, he'd just speak
Quietly persuasive, deeply meek.



Leslie Bradwell
Hope

DCCC003815 Image courtesy of www.picturethepast.org.uk



























From the arthur+martha project Stitching the Wars. A Two year collaboration with older people in Derbyshire, producing two embroidered quilts, a book, interviews and a series of poems. 
More poems found here. A short documentary film about the project found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment